Today I am writing this piece in a hope that the readers will help me finding answers to some of the questions that are deeply bothering me and millions of other Indians at this moment. There are many questions but the foremost one is why are we not plainly calling Naxals as terrorists? Who else they are? Naxals and their movement might have been for a worthy cause in the past —now, however, it is nothing but the essence of terrorism. Those who disagree with me —they should go and argue with the kins of hundred odd people who died in the Midnapur train “accident”.
Now, allow me pose my questions:
1) Why did Kanu Sanyal, founder of the Naxalite movement, distanced himself from the cause? Hurt by the deteriorating Naxal movement he committed suicide in his house where he lived alone in a remote village of West Bengal. Why did Sanyal openly damned the new terrorist face of the Naxal movement?
2) Why did a top Naxal leader comment that they will overthrow the Indian government by 2050 and siege the power? Isn’t that the only motive that they have now? Capturing power by killing their fellow Indians? They don’t think of rest of the Indians as their own. Let’s assume that they come into power —and let’s also assume that they would serve for the uplift of the tribal people (which is highly unlikely considering their present attitude) —assuming all this —what do you think, how will they treat the non-tribal people of India?
3) Naxals have well-educated people, like Kobad Ghandy, at their disposal. Also they have, for their own gratification, raised a storm in the country by gunning down thousands of innocent folk. Now the government is dying to hold talks with them. In such a scenario, I don’t understand why these guys can not adopt a more effective and civil strategy to have their demands fulfilled? Why can’t they have their educated people to use media as their weapon? In this era of information —media has become extremely powerful and if the Naxals can make use of media to continuously raise their voices —no government can remain indifferent towards them. Then why to kill innocent people? Just to show off their power?
4) What benefit are they bringing to the tribal people now? Are they playing Robin Hood? Nay, I don’t think so. Power is a corrupting force and it corrupts almost everybody —then who the Naxiltes are? Are they superhuman? Aren’t we already seeing how crazy their leaders have become just by knowing that they have an “army” of a few thousand gun totting people under their command? Aren’t we seeing that these leaders are recklessly directing their “army” to kill innocent people? Don’t we know how lavishly these leaders live their lives even in the jungles?
5) I am all for the welfare of every Indian including our tribal people. We must not snatch their jungles away from them in the name of development. We should rather be thankful to the tribal people for they are conserving a culture that has not been touched by the madness of development. You will see, when this industrialization will become too much for us to bear —we will run towards these very jungles and their people to seek shelter in the lap of Mother Nature. I am all for the welfare of tribal people. But don’t you think that the Naxalite movement has lost it’s way? Haven’t they lost the sight of what their original goals were?
Any answers? Communism does not prosper the way Naxals are trying. They are doing exactly doing things that cause the failure of communism.
With Midnapur train attack —the derailment of Naxalite movement has become complete. Now they are nothing more than terrorists and they should be treated accordingly.