Just a couple of days back I wrote about Nessie the Monster’s fake photograph and today again I am bringing you the story of yet another fake photograph! Accidental Tourist or the Tourist Guy as this photo is popularly known as; shows a man posing for a photograph atop World Trade Center (WTC) a few moments before a passenger airplane was rammed into the building.
The airliner is visible in the background flying menacingly towards the building while the unsuspecting man is merrily posing with his face towards camera. We know that it was on 11 September 2001 when terrorists had hit Word Trade Center towers with airplanes. Aren’t these enough ingredients to produce a fake photograph?!
There are numerous facts that unequivocally prove this photo to be a fake. Of these perhaps the most obvious one is “How did the camera survive even though the entire building had collapsed?”. Both the towers of the World Trade Center had completely collapsed minutes after the attacks. There are more facts that prove Accidental Tourist to be a fake. Let’s have a look:
- September 11 was a warm day. The temperature was in the high sixties (Fahrenheit) that morning. And yet the man in the photo was wearing heavy clothing.
- The man would have been standing on the south tower of the World Trade Center —the building with the observation deck. And yet the north tower was the first tower to be hit. Therefore, if we are to believe this picture is real, we must assume the man was happily posing for his photo as the other building was burning off to his side.
- The plane that hit the south tower approached from the south. However, it is evident from the landmarks behind the man that the plane in this photo is approaching from the north.
- Both of the jets that crashed into the World Trade Center were Boeing 767s, whereas a Boeing 757 is shown in this photo.
- The plane would likely have been blurred in the photo due to its high velocity before impact.
- If someone saw a plane about to hit the building where the picture was taking place, why would he/she continue to take the picture?
- The plane hit the south tower at 9:03 am, at which time the observation deck was closed. It only would have opened at 9:30 am.
- The white balance of the two photographs are far off. If the plane were the part of photograph, it would much rather appear yellowish rather than the perfect silver it appears as.
So, do we know, who exactly this Accidental Tourist is? Yes, we know! The guy’s name is Peter Guzli. He is a Hungarian and he took the photograph on 28 November 1997. After 9/11 attacks he did the initial editing of his photo in order to add an airplane into it. Guzli provided the original undoctored photo and several other photos from the same series as proof of his identity.
Real or fake, sensational stuff gets shared on social media like wild-fire. On every fake photograph I write about, I request my readers to be careful when believing and sharing material on social websites and apps.
What do you think of this photograph and the story behind it? Please comment and give your feedback as it helps me in writing better content for my readers. Thank you for reading and stay connected with my website as I will continue to bring stories on more iconic photographs for you. do subscribe for timely updates!